The People’s Pantry
What is the People’s Pantry all about?
The People’s Pantry is a community food store run by volunteers for the benefit of their local community. We are located at: Somerford Youth and Community Centre, Bingham Road, Christchurch, BH23 3AH
We are a membership scheme aimed at helping people make their money go further by reducing food shopping bills (members can potentially save over £500 each year). Members sign up for a membership at a cost of £3.50 a week, for this they are entitled to visit the Pantry once a week and select up to 10 items of food products. A membership form needs to be completed and provide proof of ID / address
(For membership rules please read below)
Thank you for applying to become a member. This is a summary of the key things you need to know.
Members are required to keep up weekly membership by attending the Pantry and paying the £3.50
(if 3 consecutive weeks are missed then the membership will be offered to others on the waiting list.)
Anyone who wishes to re-join will be added to the waiting list. It is a requirement from our suppliers that all Members will be issued with an insulated carrier bag and a thermometer which must be bought along on each visit so that there is a recording process of food control regulation between the Pantry and the members home.
• 150 memberships are available each pantry.
• Membership is awarded on a first come first serve basis and any applications received after meeting the 150 available will be placed on a waiting list.
• Membership entitles you to one visit per week
• Membership is restricted to one per household; proof you live there must be provided e.g. utility bill
• Membership is £3.50 per week.
• The People’s Pantry reserves the right to cancel or refuse your membership.
If you do not use the pantry over a three-week period
You move away from the area.
You are found to be abusive towards the pantry’s volunteers or customers
If it is proven that you have sold any Pantry items on to a third party
• If membership is cancelled due to non-attendance you can reapply but may be placed on a waiting list.
• Membership is reviewed every 3 months
• Membership is for local residents who meet the criteria and live in the catchment area of a pantry.
Using the pantry
• Members must give their membership number and payment to the pantry shop assistant.
• To comply with food safety regulations stipulated by the pantry’s suppliers you must bring and use the provided freezer bags. Failure to do so will prevent you from accessing your weekly pantry shop.
• Members must also provide an up-to-date temperature reading from their fridge and freezer (using the provided thermometers). For food to be supplied fridges must read a temperature of between 2C to 4C and freezers must measure between -18C to -23C
• Items available may vary from week to week due to availability from our suppliers.
• To ensure that members get a fair share of the stock available, we may limit some to allow for one per customer.
• There is no guaranteed availability of any item week from week
• It is the responsibility of pantry members to ensure they check food ingredients for any intolerances or
allergies they may have towards food products.
• The People’s Pantry may receive some food products that come without labelling, in these cases the pantry will try to the best of their ability to provide a list of ingredients on a separate ingredients sheet.
• The People’s Pantry may stock items which have passed their best before date. Best Before dates are about quality, not safety. When this date has passed, it doesn’t mean that the food will be harmful, but it might begin to lose its flavour or texture. These items will be clearly marked.
Pantry opening times
Tuesday 08.45 – 10.45am
Thursday 3pm – 7pm
Saturday 09.30am – 11.30am
For further information call 01202 476882 / 07785935928
The People’s Pantry Membership request
Please download and complete the form below and return it to the Somerford Youth and Community Centre office. Please print in block capitals.